PE at Westhouses
Each class takes part in at least 2 hours of taught PE sessions per week. Usually, this consists of 'competitive, skill based sports' for one hour, with the second hour basing itself on gymnastic/dance skills. Our lessons are planned in conjunction with the Bolsover School Sports Partnership, to ensure we teach high quality, purposeful lessons which support, embed skills and challenge our children.
Other Sporting Activities:
- In years 3 and 4, children also take part in the Swimming scheme at Alfreton Leisure Centre, whereby children attend one swimming lesson per week, lasting between 30-45 minutes.
- Year 5 and 6 also complete one PE session at the sports hall to ensure they have access to high quality equipment and facilities.
- The 5/60 scheme - teaching children the importance of healthy eating and completing 60 minutes of activity each day.
- Coaching – we employ a variety of coaches to teach specialist sports and activities. Examples of these are: tag rugby (RuggerEds), Football, Cricket, Wheelchair Basketball, Archery and Fencing.
- Visits to Tibshelf Community School - multi-sports festivals, working with Sports leaders etc. Pupils in years 2 and 5 also compete in an annual Mini Olympics to widen experiences.
- Opportunities to take part in inter- and intra- school competitions, as part of our Bolsover School Sport Partnership affiliation.
- For more information about our sporting competition success, please see our Sport Crew page, under the ‘children’ tab to the left.
Ensuring high quality PE teaching
At Westhouses Primary School, we work in partnership with the local schools, coaches and the Bolsover School Sport Partnership to ensure our children have purposeful, challenging PE sessions. By using the partnership, we are able to improve the teaching of PE by using the expert skills and knowledge of partnership staff to develop the skills and knowledge of our staff.
Across the school each term, various classes work with the sports coach, focusing on key skills which can be applied to a variety of competitive sports. Linking in with competition calendars, we also teach our pupils the rules and skills to compete in a variety of local cluster competitions.
Sports Premium Funding:
For more information on how we have used our sports premium funding, please click on the following internal link.